Significant world newsEdit
- 4 October - One million French transportation workers and teachers hold a nationwide strike in opposition to the Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin's economic and labor policies.
- 5 October - Hurricane Stan strikes Mexico and Central America.
- 8 October - Kashmir earthquake: 7.6 on the Richter scale.
- 10 October - Following the German federal election, 2005, Christian Democrat Angela Merkel will become the next Chancellor of Germany, replacing Social Democrat Gerhard Schröder.
- 13 October - H5N1 avian influenza virus is confirmed in dead birds found in Turkey
- 15 October -
- The Iraqi people go to the polls to vote on whether to approve the proposed constitution.
- The Brazilian government extends a state of emergency to cover the whole of Amazonas, the country's largest state, following a severe drought which has seen many rivers and lakes dry up.
- Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika declared a national disaster due to the worsening food shortages.
- 17 October -
- 24 October - Hurricane Wilma hits South Florida.
- 26 October - H5N1 bird flu confirmed to have reached Croatia.
- 30 October - Hurricane Beta, the first hurricane of that name, approaches Nicaragua and Honduras.
- Essays and other stuff on fisheries management, written by M.Ben-Yami, can be read and downloaded at: www.benyami.org.
- 24 October - two Russian fishing trawlers are taken into custody by the Norwegian Coast Guard after allegedly having done illegal reloading of their vessels near the Norwegian Sea island of Bjørnøya.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|